Sunday 24 July 2011

Foe or Friends

Days became weeks and things started to settle into a strange miasma that turned out to be coming from ME. I was mad, I was furious, HOW DARE this thing happen to ME.

Of course it doesn't seem strange that my sisters and I used to fight like cats and dogs when we were young, but no more would we fight each other, because we had bigger fish to fry this time and boy, did they fight some great fights not only for information about what they could expect to happen to me, but they had a huge fight with me because I was becoming a real misery guts! Nothing was going my way and I didn't want to do anything, anymore.

The medical staff were still working with me to try to make sense out of this craziness and the more they tried to tell me that this to would pass, the more I resisted until the day that I wheeled myself into my room and sat facing the wall - I would show 'them' all. I don't know quite what I was going to show them but I thought that if I sat in the corner long enough, something would change, and it did.

My estranged father came into the picture, he had heard that I might die, so he came to RRCS to see me and believe it or not, I cried and cried! I was so happy to make contact, that the years in between lost their poignancy and he became another friend trying to help me out.

One morning, two dear friends came to see me in RRCS, Leanne had come down from Byron Bay for the weekend to see me and Kristina had driven her out there. Apart from getting very teary because I love them both so much, they washed my hair and that was the best thing anyone could have done for me, because they toughed me!!!

Other friends who came to see me as well, just looked frightened and you could tell that they were shocked at my feeble state - I didn't have a mirror and I still couldn't speak or articulate the words to ask for one - but Kristina washed my hair and Leanne combed and dried it and they both put moisturiser on me. They talked and laughed with me and made me feel normal, which was a great gift to me. Even though Leanne had to go back home after the weekend, Kristina came out almost every week to give me a hair wash, rub moisturiser on me and do some other treatment to make me feel normal.

Thank you both, from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: