Saturday 16 July 2011

The one that changed my life

The times were exciting because the girl’s and I were going to America!  I had been to the US Consulate the day before and got the paper work started and then I went to the dentist, tidying all the little things up.

On the day of my stroke, I drove myself and my eldest daughter (Erin) to Crows Nest (our little town near Sydney, Australia) and I went to the gym, while my daughter went to get us a coffee before she started work at the local cinema, which I was intending on drive her to.

I did a circuit in the gym and then packed up my things and thought ‘cripes, what a headache I’ve got’, and that is the last thing I remember of my past life.

Erin, came to the gym looking for me, because she had to be at work in about ½ an hour, when she got to the gym, she could see people gathered around some poor woman lying on the floor, and it took a couple of minutes to register that it was me!

Meanwhile, the receptionist at the gym (who used to be a nurse (Thank God!) and told the operator that she thought that I was having a stroke) had called an ambulance for me (thankfully RNS hospital was a half a kilometre away) and was waiting for it on the median strip outside and I had a glimpse of reason for a couple of seconds before blackness overcame me again, this time for three and ½ weeks.

I ‘came to’ about 2 weeks after I was admitted to the ICU at RNSH with no recollection how I came to be there.  I slept in a 4 bedroom room, and again, have no recollection of much at all other than I saw my ex-husband, daughters, mother, sisters, and I didn’t know where I was, what was happening and time just seemed to stand still.

After a couple of weeks, I was transferred to Royal Rehabilitation at North Ryde, another town near Sydney, Australia.


1.

3 comments:

a Palate and a Passport said...

I didn't know that you were no comprehendo for two weeks Wendy. You weren't in a comma were you? Thanks for sharing your story.

A Stroke of Genius said...

Thanks Jules, not as pretty or as interesting as a Palate and a Passport, but I hope to get the message across!

Christine said...

Wendy - your brain's obviously made a remarkable recovery. I love your blog and will follow it. Thanks for explaining the exact nature of your stroke. To say events immediately after your stroke were horrendous is an extreme understatement. It must have been a nightmare. I wish I could have been there for you. xx