Tuesday 15 November 2011

Dress-ups

After I came back to Sydney, I realise that I was over being a disc jockey and needed to do something else, but it had to be a creative role and I didn't know what I was looking for.


My youngest sister, Melissa, was working as a house model for Grace Bros. at Parramatta, one day I went to see her working and met her boss Lainie and thought, 'Hmmm - that's the kind of work that I would like to do', and would you believe it - a position came up at Grace Bros, Chatswood (which is my local neighbourhood store!)so, I applied for the position, which was advertised as a 'causal Fashion Co-ordinator' not really thinking that I would get the position (but really, really wanting it) but after going for 4 long interviews, I actually got the job!


I started at the Grace Bros Chatswood, as a casual, working only the days that the parades were on, but after a short while the job became much more than a 'job' and I loved it!


Someone once asked me 'what would be your favourite kind of job' and I said, 'playing dress-ups with real people', this was that kind of job! I really had to 'play dress-up's' with real people!!!


The job consisted of putting on fashion parades in the store and working in the particular area that the garments came from. Sometimes they were little parades about 'Big is Beautiful' or 'Moderate Price Dresses', or 'Lingerie', especially if it was Mother's Day or something like that. Of course, every Spring we had the fabulous High Fashion Range which we truly looked forward to! However and unfortunately, High Fashion looks good and keeps us in work, but that doesn't keep the fires burning for most of us, so, anything that the store thought would bring in the customers, that was what we tried our best to sell.


I was excited about shoes one time and thought that we should make the shoes the main point and not the clothes, so, I got the models to wear leotards and we decided that the models would just show shoes so, they did!! It was sensational! The girls were on a stage and the curtain cut them off at the knees and they danced and high kicked and went on like a chorus in a big show and they high kicked to New York, New York and it was brilliant and boy, the whole thing was so much fun! 


Another day, we were doing menswear in the store and I wanted the boys to be different, so, I had them dressed in long grey trench coats and made sure the music was appropriate for each segment. They started off with 'one day your'e gonna get caught, one day your'e gonna get caught with your pants down', that was another parade that was soooo much fun! We had a segment where the male models had to dance to 'Putting on the Ritz', and dance with the older ladies in the crowd! Grace Bros was pretty much a tight ship' to be working for, but they had a sense of humour and we made fabulous parades!!!


There were six part-time 'house' models who would be complemented by six professional models from the major model agencies in Sydney. We had Tina, Michelle, Kate, Rebecca, Janelle and Brooke. The 'House' models were gorgeous girls who were learning their trade by being part-timers while they learnt all the tricks of their trade from us their employers and the professional models and it was a fantastic way for the newer models to learn their trade. Some of the House models are still friends of mine today after almost thirty years, especially Janelle or Miss Johnny as we used to call her (Miss J is pictured starring in a parade) and Tina who I have known for over half of her life!


I wish that girls today, had something like our girls did at Grace Bros in the 80's and 90's. A way to feel like they are amongst the hype but have a 'den mother' to look out for them and keep them safe.

2 comments:

Christine said...

This is the point where I lost you :( (temporarily). Of course I always wondered what you were doing. I remember your interviews for this job and the small white lie you told about your age and how quickly you confessed (imagine thinking you need to lie about your age when you're all of 30 lol). Once I even made the big trip to Chatswood and looked for you.

A Stroke of Genius said...

Oh Chrissie, I wish that I had have known, but at least we have found each other now and we have lots to catch up on xxx