Friday 11 January 2013

Things will get better

Rehab is something that I can't get away from and sometimes I am really fed up with it and want to take some time off or stop doing any more Rehab!! However, when I actually think about the almost 6 years that I have (and the 'family' of professionals that we have at the Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney), put into the exercises, I have to go back and do them again!

I have always been told that the only person who misses out from me not doing any rehab, is myself, and ain't that the truth! The couple of weeks that I had off over Christmas and New Year, gave me some much needed space to consider what my options are and I know that I am SO lucky to be able to go to the Royal Rehab Centre SO I just have to pull my head in and go for it again!

The last time I was talking about Rehab, I was getting more botox from Dr Zeman and having my hand cast (again!) and saying how much it hurt because Lisa had to wrap my arm in such a way, that my tendons got stretched - and that really, really hurts! Since then, I was using my Saebo flex (hand) and everything was going along nicely, but the botox wore off so much quicker than it ever has before and after a little time, I couldn't put my hand inside the Saebo anymore.

Unfortunately for me, lovely Lisa has been moved up to the top of the hill (the temporary hospital until the new one is completed) and out-patients don't get to see her at the moment, but I am having a consultation with the fabulous Dr Z next Wednesday and I should know a bit more at that time, I will keep you posted on that score.

I have been having some more Speech Therapy with a lovely young woman named Jo, because even though I can speak more or less ok, I talk (mumble) much to quickly! Jo has told me many times that no one knows what I am talking about so please, 'slow down'!! 'Think about what your tongue and mouth are doing before you try to speak' - (we do so much to speak that you wouldn't believe it!) so, I have paragraphs that she gives to me that have different sounds and phrases and ARE helping, but again, it comes down to how much I practise and how much better I want to get at speaking.

After I have had a hour with Jo, I move on to Clare for physiotherapy and try to kneel down on the floor - it is very hard and I spend a lot of time - crying again!  Apparently, I have what is called 'limb neglect' which is something that I had never heard about until someone mentioned the book by Lisa Genova (who wrote "Still Alice", about a woman who got early onset alzheimer's) called "Left Neglect" in which she wrote about this very strange affliction and Clare said that it was what I had!!

I don't 'see' my leg and it is as though I don't have two legs, until someone mentions it and sometimes I know that it's there and sometimes - I don't. Lisa and Clare would like it if I could do an adapted yoga that has been beneficial to people who have had a stroke, but in order to make use of this type of yoga, I would have to be able to get down on the floor and get back up again! Very, very hard! We have been trying to kneel before a mirror and teach my brain to observe and use my other leg since before Christmas. I was quite nervous about it, but would you believe that this week.....I could do it!!

So, thank you again to the Angels that are the professional staff at Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney.

11.1.2013


No comments: